Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Il Duce Tries To Excise His Mutineer, Fails

The next morning, I stopped in his boss' office first thing (we'll call him Tiberius) and had a chat with him. I told him I was pretty sure Il Duce was trying to fire me, told him why, and told him I'd appreciate a little notice, if that was the case, so I could get my resume out on the internet and find a job elsewhere.

He laughed and said, "Is that why [Il Duce] asked me to meet to talk about moving someone from his team to another part of the company?" (As it turned out, that meeting was an hour later. My timing was good.)

I said that, probably yes, that was me he was talking about.

Tiberius told me not to worry, that nobody was getting fired. He said, "It's not like you're chasing some cute young female analyst around the office." He laughed, not knowing how completely and utterly ironic that was.

I laughed with him. "Well, that's certainly true."

No comments:

Post a Comment